Sunday, July 13, 2008

Pride

“Hi, my name is Shannon, and I’m a were-lion.”

[Group: “Hi, Shannon.”]

All of you are monsters, completely out of control. You don’t deserve to live.

“Sorry, I must have spaced out there for a minute.” She gives a little chuckle.

“ I guess a good place to start is at the beginning. It’s not really something I like to relive, but…

But my therapist thought it might be useful for me to…

[Someone in the crowd lets out a nervous cough]

“Um, anyhow, my symptoms started at an early age. The first time occurred when I was about three years old. My mom took me to the park. I remember it being a really beautiful day and having the feeling that nothing could get any better or worse…you know the way you feel about the world when you’re a kid. My younger sister hadn’t been born yet so I got the kind of undivided attention from my mother that can really spoil a child, ya know? I remember her pushing me on the swing and then I ran up the ladder and flew down the slide until I couldn’t see straight. Then I sort of dizzily hobbled over to the sandbox.

“We had brought a bucket and shovel and I was enjoying filling it with sand and dumping it out again. We had been the only ones at the park. Out of nowhere a little boy, a few years older than me, plopped down near me in the sandbox. The details are a little fuzzy, he must have tried to take the shovel and bucket away from me because I would never have attacked him unprovoked.” She looks around at the group nervously, trying to decipher whether or not they believe her.

“Either I blanked out during the attack or it’s just because it was so long ago and I was pretty young, ‘cause I don’t remember it. Just images really. I remember the screaming, my mother pulling me off a lifeless mass only slightly larger than myself. Probably the clearest picture in my head is the way the sand looked. Kind of like the beach after a rain—pockmarked and wet. Except it was blood, and it was red. And I remember when my mother pulled me away the wet sand stuck to the bottom of her feet, exposing the dry, white sand underneath in the shape of her sandals.

“I was a big accomplishment for my pediatrician. I remember my mother being surprised at my having ALPS and showing symptoms so young. The doctor just gave a nerdy grin and said ‘the force is strong with this one’. After we saw him we stood in a narrow hallway to pay the receptionist and schedule our next appointment. You had to be blind not to notice the pictures of all the doctors in the practice on the wall with plaques underneath championing their medical accomplishments. I used to like to count all the plaques and secretly congratulate the doctors when they got a new one. When we stood in the hallway after our second visit, I noticed our doctor had a new plaque under his picture. My mother said it announced that he was the first and thus far only doctor in the practice to diagnose anyone with ALPS. But after our next visit I noticed it wasn’t there. I found out later they were starting to get complaints. People were afraid to sit in the waiting room. In the eyes of the non-were, any and every kid now had the ability to maul them to pieces. The sudden burst of tears from a child that decided he didn’t want to play with a toy fire truck or found he was scheduled for a shot just unglued everybody. I think they even had a receptionist quit. So they took the plaque down.

[Her posture changes and the faraway look vanishes. She stands taller and looks more confident.]

“In reality they found a good cocktail of drugs for me rather quickly. And with the exception of a few unfortunate incidents in adolescence, I’ve been problem free. I still change, but it’s really very slight—only my husband notices the difference.

“That’s all I have to say. I hope my story has been of some encouragement to you. Just keep trying all the drugs out there until you find the ones that work best for you. And don’t underestimate the power of self-determination. So much can be achieved if you only will yourself to do it.”

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon,

Good to see another female hanging out here.

Lucrezia Werebobcat

Anonymous said...

Ah, at last the sex kitten speaks. I was beginning to wonder if you were ever going to introduce yourself. What's the problem? Cat got your tongue?

Anonymous said...

The motion has been put forward that Scott is a jerk. I second it.

Anonymous said...

Huh? What is your problem? Am I the only one in this room with a sense of humor?

Anonymous said...

Shut up, Scott. Just shut up.

Anonymous said...

<sigh> Scott? Leave her alone, okay? Can't you see how much effort it took Shannon to open up and talk tonight?

Anonymous said...

I can see that. I'm just giving her a little good-natured teasing. What's wrong with that?

Anonymous said...

That "sex kitten" crack was completely uncalled for.

Anonymous said...

I wish to amend my motion. All those in favor of killing and eating Scott now, say "RAAARGH!"

Anonymous said...

RAAARGH!

Anonymous said...

No, no, no. The motion has to be seconded and opened for discussion first. Then we vote.

Anonymous said...

Uh, whoa there. Wait one frakkin' minute, folks..

Anonymous said...

Second.

Anonymous said...

Discussion?

Anonymous said...

I don't know, he's looking kinda oily and over weight.

Scott, have you been pigging out on the Pringle's again?

Anonymous said...

If you skin 'em first, that really cuts down on the triglycerides.

Anonymous said...

Whoa, folks.

Listen, I'm married to what some folks might call a "sex kitten" and, uh, you know, she's as human as the rest of us. My wife couldn't be here tonight, but I know she'd appreciate Shannon's struggle. We really need to treat everyone like individuals, not like sex objects. Even when they're hot.

So, Shannon... how do you feel about casual nudity?

Anonymous said...

I mean, not that I'm insinuating anything. Just that, uh, you know, my wife and I enjoy nudism. And you seem very tan, so, uh... nevermind. I'm sorry.

Anonymous said...

Oh my, look at the time, after 8:30 already! Sorry folks, I've had my Blackberry on mute and it's been buzzing itself silly in my pocket, so much as I'd love to stick around, I've got this really important call I need to return. See ya!

Anonymous said...

Unless, uh, you don't mind, and maybe you are a nudist. You're very tall and lean, like the, uh outdoor type, so I just...

Well, um, I'd better go...

Anonymous said...

<whew> I thought he'd never leave. Don't you pick up were he left off, Bill.

How about you, Shannon? You holding up okay?

Anonymous said...

"Were" he left off?

Anonymous said...

Sorry. Freudian slip.

Anonymous said...

I'm holding up just fine. As you know, Lucrezia, we can take care of ourselves.

Scott, you're a little too high-profile for me.

Bill, I think you've had enough paw in your mouth for one evening.

And the rest of you, we can have friendly discussion without literally biting people's heads off. Control, people, control! Say it with me: "I will not eat people; be they were or otherwise."

Anonymous said...

People are friends, not food. Just a little movie paraphrase, there.

Hey, does anyone know if there are were-sharks?

Anonymous said...

No, Hank, ALPS only affects mammals. Read the Handbook.

What, nobody has a copy of -- Okay, look, can somebody get the ALPS backgrounder from the Handbook posted on our web site by this time next week? BRB, are you going to do that? Good.

Okay folks, it's been a good meeting this week, and I feel like we've made a lot of progress.

Anonymous said...

Scott left early.

Anonymous said...

There are many definitions of good progress, grasshopper.

Anyway, thanks everyone for coming, enjoy what's left of the social hour, see you all next week, and remember, the Church of Vegentology has this room at 10 o'clock and they've been complaining about the mess we've left the last few weeks, so let's try to tidy up a little better this time, okay?

See you next week!

ajw308 said...

I still change, but it’s really very slight—only my husband notices the difference.

Hmmm, I think I now understand a frame of mind my wife has, once a month...