Sunday, May 10, 2009

Miguel Checks In

“Hey everyone, it’s Miguel.”

(EVERYONE: Hi Miguel!)

“Wait. I started that wrong. How’s this? Uh, hi everyone, I’m Miguel, and I’m a were-wolf.”

(EVERYONE: Hi Miguel!)

“So… anyhow… I know I haven’t been around much lately. Been too busy to show up. Well… not REALLY too busy, but… time gets away from me.

See, I lost my regular job and I’m just freelancing now on random stuff. And by freelancing, I mean basically doing nothing because almost nobody’s hiring freelancers. Sure, I get the occasional computer-fixing job or html gig… but things are slow. Glad I’m single or I’d really be toast.

Now I’m not naturally a lazy guy, so I’ve set some tasks. It wasn’t until I started coming here that I really came to grips with my ALPS. Hank helped me with that. Before… I just ignored it. Of course, now that it’s getting all political, if you ignore it – you’re likely to end up in Gitmo or wherever they’re sending “enemy combatants” these days.

Anyhow, my main task has been researching stuff about paranormal creatures. Like us, right? Ha. So... most of my research has involved archival footage. For example, last month I watched the 1931 version of Dracula with Bela Lugosi. Interestingly, that film tied in werewolf legends with vampire legends.”

(Someone in the audience boos loudly)

“I know, I know. Most of us aren’t fans of the necksuckers. But… watching Dracula made me think. Could there be a common thread connecting weres with vampires? People around here have starting talking about ‘Dark Life’ lately, and trying to make it like we ALPS victims are also part of some deep dark thread that runs through history… connecting trolls, chupacabras, Barbra Streisand and goblins or whatever. I’m not sure about that. But it does make me think a little that we might know a lot less than we think we do.

So… after watching Dracula, and thinking about how hard it was to follow and how poorly paced… it made me really feel down about life. So… I killed and ate a particularly annoying neighbor. Not intentionally, of course…it was on accident. But this guy… my gosh… he was driving me batty! Up all night… cranking up the bass on his car (a black hearse, by the way), having all these pale pasty druggie looking chicks over constantly for 2:00AM pool parties – it was NUTS!

And I was already in a funk from being unemployed. And it was a full moon. I was trying to get some sleep and he cranked up the radio one too many times. I looked out the window… he was out in front of his house, just fiddling around with his car door open. No one else there. So I walked over, irritated. And he looked at me with a drop-dead look… and I transformed… and tore him to shreds.

But… then I noticed his teeth. Uh-oh. One of those. Should have FREAKING guessed that… but with all the stupid goth punks around here, you don’t except a real creature of the night.

Uh… so now I’m worried. Could I end up with SCABS? Am I more susceptible because I already have ALPS?"

(Someone yells “NO!”)

"Well, I hope not. But I’ve started taking garlic capsules just to be sure."

(Miguel starts to walk off the stage – then returns to the mic)

“Oh… and if anyone is hiring right now… can you guys let me know?”

3 comments:

Hank said...

Miguel, there is no way you can catch SCABS from eating a vampire. But I figured you, of all people, would know better than to make generalizations about vampires. I know a lot of them because of Michelle and most of them are just normal folks like you and me!

But if you find someone who's hiring, let me know, too!

miguel said...

heh. i'm used to generalizations. i find them quite helpful. heck... im a class A double minority!

and sorry if i bugged you... but are you sure it's not just a LITTLE creepy that your dating a lollipop?

Hank said...

Nope, not creepy in the least. I know I had some of the same prejudices you've got now before I started dating Michelle, but not any more. Vampires are just like us weres, they've got a disease, nothing more.